2022 Constitution & Citizenship Day
In September 2022, Southwest Florida celebrated its first ever Constitution and Citizenship Day Celebration at the Federal Courthouse. Fed Bar—along with the Middle District—proudly hosted the event. Guests and and passersby joined in the festivities, which took place on the front steps of the Courthouse.
The event included a Naturalization Ceremony and live reading of the entire US Constitution. Among the many wonderful speakers were Florida Supreme Court Justice Jorge Labarga and Captain Yury Volkovinsky (US Air Force). Both Justice Labarga and Captain Volkovinsky spoke of their experiences as naturalized citizens, including their respective journeys to the United States. They provided wonderful insight for the new citizens and everyone else in attendance. What’s more, their comments provided outstanding context for listening to the Constitution and understanding its importance to this day.
Given the overwhelming response from the community, the event will be back in 2023. Come join us September 15, 2023!
To achieve our mission and vision, the Association:
- Sponsors quality education programs for members and the public;
- Keeps members informed of current developments in the law;
- Addresses issues raised by members and judiciary concerning local federal practice;
- Provides members opportunities to assume leadership roles and perform community service; and
- Sponsors events to encourage collegiality, civility, and professionalism among members.